Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October is depression awareness month

By this point in time, most of us are aware that October is breast cancer awareness month and rightly so.  However, October is also depression awareness month and I support this because I am one of millions who is a victim of this dark, dismal,lonely and little understood disorder.  No one specific thing causes depression, it is a combination of things.  Genetics, biochemical, environmental and psychological factors.  Depression affects almost 10% of the population that equates to 19 million people!  34% of women are diagnosed with depression!  Imagine how many more go undiagnosed!  There is help out there.  Don't suffer alone not one more day!  Many family doctors can help diagnose and treat depression.  There are community mental health centers in most communities that have "sliding-fee" scales so anyone can be seen no matter your financial circumstances.  Please seek help if you have suffered with what you think is depression.  I am posting links to two great sites on this subject that give more information and directions for assistance. 

 http://www.upliftprogram.com/depression_stats.html

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-index.shtml

FYI:  Green is the designated color to represent depression awareness month. 

Until next time

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I too am one of the thousands who have endured this illness practically since I was 4 or 5. Only back then,the psychologists didn't have a word for the illness in children. They just told my parents I was "very sad." Anyway,when I turned 19 I visited a psychiatrist,and was given medication for it. And green seems to be my favorite nail polish color,of late! I am following you now!

    ReplyDelete